There are signs to look for to identify potential problems before more serious ones occur. Please learn the signs of thermal expansion from the list. Some signs of thermal expansion:
- The relief valve on the water heater drips during the recovery cycle
- Hot water pipes make a creaking sound
- There is a sudden surge of water when a faucet is first turned on, then the pressure drops
- Premature failure of water heaters, plumbing and fixtures
- Hot water in the cold water lines
It’s important to know that the water heater relief valve should not be used as a means of controlling thermal expansion. Instead, contact a plumbing professional if you suspect a problem. The plumber can schedule an inspection and install proper thermal expansion control methods. Contact Angel Goike with the Cross Connection office at 931-553-2489 for more information.