Code Enforcement

Codes Enforcement Division is responsible for initially issuing applicable codes and ordinances dealing with environmental issues. TheHouse with tall grass in front of it codes enforcement division is responsible for issuing notices and enforcing city ordinances.

Make a Complaint

All complaints received are addressed within two business days. They are addressed and citizens are given a time frame to comply. Once the case is in compliance we close it out, however, if no progress has been made, depending on the violation, we either turn the case over to our abatement division or further action may follow with court proceedings. Our most common violations include tall grass, trash/debris, inoperable vehicles, and parking on an approved surface, along with many others.

If you would like to file a complaint, please click the following link :  Online Request

RentersHouse with maintained yard

Anyone renting a property within the city limits, who are having issues inside the property and cannot get the landlord/property management company to correct the issue, you can file a complaint with our office. You can do so online by filling out the online Housing Inspection Request Form or by coming into our office. You will need to bring all of the following documents before being able to file your complaint:

  1.  A Photo I.D. 
  2. A copy of your rental/lease agreement
  3. A copy of your most recent rental payment.

Domesticated Hens

Domesticated hen applications can be found in our Citizen Form Center .. Depending on zoning some citizens can have a limited number of hens on their property. Call or email our office for any questions or concerns.

City Code Sec 3-109

1. The keeping of domesticated hens (female chickens) shall be allowed in the residentially zoned districts of E-1, R-1, R-1A, R-2, and R-2A.

2. Other types of fowl and poultry, such as ducks, geese, quail, pigeons, or turkeys shall not be considered domesticated hens.

3. Roosters shall be prohibited. Breeding of permitted hens shall be prohibited on property premises. On-site slaughtering is prohibited.

4. All domesticated hens shall be kept outside of a habitable structure in a fenced chicken enclosure (chicken run), and a portion of the chicken enclosure must include a covered coop structure (henhouse). The chicken coop shall provide at least two (2) square feet per chicken and shall not exceed fifty (50) square feet. The chicken enclosure shall provide at least six (6) square feet per bird, and the enclosure shall also include the coop within the enclosure, and the entire enclosure shall not exceed a total of four hundred (400) square feet. The maximum height of the coop shall be no more than ten (10) feet at the highest point as measured from the ground directly beneath the highest point of the coop. the enclosure and coop shall be located in the rear of the property ten (10) feet away from any side property line. The lot area for keeping domesticated hens shall be a minimum of nine thousand (9,000) square feet. The coop shall be covered and enclosed on all sides. The enclosure shall be open to the air above, or the enclosure may be covered by a permeable material approved by the department of building and codes. A maximum of six (6) chickens may be permitted on any parcel or tract of property.

5. Any food storage shall be kept in airtight, predator proof, and weather proof containers.

6. There shall be a one-time application fee of fifty dollars ($50.00) for any person applying for a chicken permit. As a part of the permit process and at the time of the permit application the applicant shall provide a site drawing showing the location of the proposed chicken enclosure and the chicken coop in relationship to the applicant's real property line boundaries. Final permit approval shall be subject to inspection of the completed structure by the department of building and codes.

7. The permit applicant must own and occupy the property for which the permit is applied. The permit cannot be transferred or assigned to any other person. A permit shall expire upon the sale or other transfer of the property, or if the permit holder ceases to reside at the property for which the permit was granted.

8. A permanent screening buffer shall be required. The screening buffer shall be located no closer than the minimum front yard setback of the applicant's property. This permanent screening buffer may be a fence, shrubbery, or other similar structure or plant.

9. The chicken coop and enclosure shall be well maintained and regularly cleaned to control dust, odor, and waste, in order to not constitute a nuisance, safety hazard or health problem to surrounding property. As part of proper maintenance, the permit holder must remove any chicken waste on a regular basis, at least biweekly, and dispose of it in a proper manner. Chicken waste includes excrement, uneaten feed, feathers, or other waste items. If the enclosure and coop are not properly maintained and results in the occurrence of a nuisance, the department of building and codes may treat the nuisance as any other nuisance pursuant to existing law, regardless if the permit holder has an otherwise valid permit.

10. Any permit issued may be revoked by city court upon a finding of any violation by any person of any provisions herein.


Applications for fireworks sales can be found at this link.  This process involves the City of Clarksville Finance Office, as well as the Clarksville Fire Department and various State of Tennessee entities.  Please follow all instructions on the application.

Yard Sales

Within the City of Clarksville a resident can host two yard sales per year, each sale not to exceed three consecutive days in length. Permits are required and are free of charge. Permits must be submitted prior to the sale.  Online Yard Sale Permit

Swimming Pools

We all know summers in Tennessee are hot! Swimming pools do become a safety concern for a lot of citizens. Anyone thinking of installing a pool is required to get a placement permit within our office. For information regarding swimming pools and placement of pools, spas, or hot tubs please check out our Swimming Pool Regulations (PDF).


We do not permit fences unless they exceed 6ft in height, however when a fence is installed there are certain requirements pertaining Codes Enforcement Top 10 Common Code Violationsto where they are placed in a residents property. Mostly for adjoining property owners safety. The following link will provide information on height requirements and setbacks for fences. View the Fence Requirements (PDF).


Anyone interested in Beekeeping Regulations (PDF) please check out the link provided. Read through our city ordinance and Tennessee Department of Agriculture regulations pertaining to beekeeping. The following links are also helpful for more information: